Choose the right builder
One of the most critical factors in a successful building project is selecting the right building or contractor. The building firm you choose will be spending several weeks, or even months, working on or in your home. You not only need to be confident in their ability to do the work but also that you will have a good working relationship with them, and be able to “communicate” effectively throughout the entire building process. The majority of home building horror stories are a direct result of hiring a bad builder.
• Do you have architecturals yet? And are they thorough and acceptable for construction?
• Meet on site to obtain general information with regards to your anticipated project. Determine your family’s wants, needs and budget. We can advise you ‘roughly” as to what type of costs and timeline that will be involved with the project.
• We will determine whether your project requires the skills of a draftsman, engineer, an architectural technologist or an architect. And to what degree each may need to be involved.
ESTIMATING AND COSTING
• Once the above is completed your project can be priced accurately by either the “Lump Sum Method”, hard costs firm without being altered later, or a “Cost Plus or Set Management Fee”, cost estimates that may fluctuate as a project proceeds. Once both the Builder and Owner/Client are satisfied and have negotiated successfully and come to a mutual agreement a contract will be made which will include all documents, plans, schedules and signed by both.
• A construction payment schedule should be agreed upon and attached. Once the construction insurance, construction loans are in place the home/renovation is ready to be constructed.